Bought myself a couple of new disks. I want redundancy on the servers and now my economy has caught up with my needs. One of them is the latest WD Raptor. I wanted that one for the workstation so i ended up dd’ing the windows partition. Then I makde a new filesystem (ext3 with journal_data_writeback for speed) for my gentoo installation. Using dd to copy the MBR apparently wasn’t enough (or maybe I didn’t copy enough bytes). Therefore I had to boot with a livecd and run grub from there. But it’s all good now and I can use the old disk for my new RAID1 installation of the server running this site. This weekend I’ll setup the file server with a RAID1 too. Time for the hero to go to bed.


22 November 2007